This chilled dessert is the Mexican equivalent of Italy’s tiramisu or England’s trifle – translated as Three Milk Cake – this cake gets its name from the three types of milk – fresh cream, condensed milk and evaporated milk. These kinds of milk infuse the gluten-free sponge cake and create a super moist and tender texture. The only difference is the lack of alcohol, but don’t hold back, Tres Leches Cake readily accepts rum, tequila, sherry etc. – whichever you fancy, the sponge cake absorbs the flavours and alcohol brilliantly.
This dessert compliments a spicy or salty main dish, like fajitas or chilli con Carne. Although it has a heavy cream and sugar presence, this transforms into a lightly marinated sponge cake with a freshly whipped cream topping.
For the gluten-free sponge cake:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 90g store-bought or homemade gluten-free plain flour
- 140g caster sugar (90g added to egg yolks, 50g added to egg whites)
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Tres Leches marinade:
- 200ml heavy (pre-whipped) cream
- 200ml evaporated milk
- 200ml condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of either rum, tequila or sherry (optional)
For the topping:
- 300ml heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- Fresh strawberries and blueberries, to garnish
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
2. Line a 25cm by 15cm baking tray with baking paper.
3. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks for 2 minutes.
4. Add 90g sugar and beat for 3 minutes or until it appears thick and resembles a lemon colour.
11. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
Chill the cake thoroughly before slicing the cake into portions. The cake will stay intact and look attractive on the plate.