This easy breakfast option is loaded with fibre, omega-3s and healthy fats to start your day on the right foot. There is something about this sweet, salty and crunchy granola which can be eaten on its own or topped with yoghurt and fresh fruit or smothered in cow’s milk, almond milk or gluten-free oat milk.
Depending what topping you choose, this granola can be a vegan’s breakfast option too.
If you have nut allergies, simply leave out the nuts and double the seed quantity. If you have a preference for only one type of nut, simply measure 250g of this nut in the recipe.
For extra nutritional impact, try to use organic nuts and seed.
I don’t add any dried fruits to my granola recipe simply because I find that they burn easily and give an overly sweet and sticky taste to the mixture. Saying that, if I do have some dried apricots or dates lying around, I may add a few as a garnish to my granola bowl together with yoghurt.
An important tip is to keep an eye on the granola when it is baking during the last 15 minutes. My advice is to stir more than once during the last 15 minutes and remove the granola early if you notice some nuts turning too brown. The main thing is to not burn the nuts, otherwise your granola will taste bitter.
Store your granola in an attractive jar and place it next to your coffee machine or kettle for easy access in the morning and as a reminder that there is a delicious gluten-free breakfast option waiting for you.
- 100g gluten-free oats
- 100g whole almonds, skin on
- 50g whole pecans
- 50g whole walnuts
- 50g whole Brazil nuts
- 60g sunflower seeds
- 60g pumpkin seeds
- 20g sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons runny honey (or maple syrup for vegans)
- 30g coconut flakes/chips (soaked in water)
- 2 tablespoons coconut or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut or sunflower oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
2. Pre-heat the oven to 160 C/ 320 F.
4. Start weighing and measuring each dry ingredient and place them on a baking tray.
6. Mix well using two spoons.
8. Mix well and spread out the granola mixture evenly.
9. Bake for 15 minutes.
10. Sir well and often while baking for a further 8 to 10 minutes.