A decent gluten-free sandwich is hard to come by, but these focaccia sandwiches are so satisfying and addictive. They’re fun to make. Follow my suggested fillings or be creative and make your dream sandwich come true!
Gluten-free focaccia bread recipe
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 425g store-bought bread flour or homemade bread flour blend
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tablespoons store-bought buttermilk or homemade buttermilk
- 2 eggs, mixed
- 350ml warm milk
- 15 pitted black olives
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 garlic, cut into slivers
- Olive oil, for brushing tin and top of focaccia
Various focaccia sandwich filling ideas:
CAPRESE: Sliced tomatoes, sliced Mozzarella cheese & fresh basil leaves. Crack some black pepper and sprinkle some sea salt over the tomatoes and cheese.
PROSCIUTTO: Prosciutto, sliced Mozzarella cheese & fresh rocket/arugula leaves. Crack some black pepper and sprinkle some sea salt over the cheese.
GRILLED VEGETABLES: Grilled, thinly sliced eggplant, courgette & red peppers, grilled haloumi cheese & store-bought pesto or homemade pesto.
CLASSIC CHEESE & HAM: Sliced Cheddar cheese, Sliced ham and thinly sliced white/yellow onions.
Step by Step Instructions
1. Make the gluten-free focaccia bread by following the recipe: Gluten-free focaccia bread (leave out the black olives if you intend to toast your sandwich).
5. For the grilled vegetable filling: grill the vegetables and haloumi cheese on a griddle pan for approximately 10 minutes. Spread 2 tablespoons of pesto on the inside of each focaccia slice. Layer the vegetables and haloumi cheese on top.
6. These focaccia sandwiches can be eaten fresh or toasted in a panini toaster. If you do not have a panini toaster, wrap each sandwich in foil and bake in a 180 C/350 F oven for 10 minutes or longer, until the cheese has melted nicely.
Toasted Focaccia Sandwiches