As Europe is currently going through an icy-blast of winter, I like to prepare comfort, warming family meals, especially when they are slow-cooked either on the stove-top or in a slow cooker/crock pot. This recipe is designed for the stove-top, but if you prefer to leave the chicken casserole to cook away even slower in a slow cooker, simply allow an extra 2 hours on High or 4 hours on Low. Perfect for busy households, especially while many of us are home-schooling or working from home.
The chicken I use is without bones, but if you prefer to add chicken thighs with the bone, this will make your casserole even tastier. The only hassle is that you need to remove the bone from the chicken meat before adding the peas. This is necessary so that you are not messing around with the bone while eating the casserole. I recommend removing the skin off any chicken pieces, otherwise the casserole will become too greasy.
The champion of this dish is the dumpling! Yes, the chicken casserole could be used in a savoury pie or topped with mashed potatoes, but these dumplings go one level above the “comforting-scale.” As well as being gluten-free, they are super fluffy and a delicious low-carb to accompany the steaming chicken and medley of vegetables.
A side of Dijon or English mustard gives the dish an extra boost, if you need another layer of flavour.
I recommend serving this with roast potatoes, mashed potatoes or steamed rice.
- 650g-700g chicken boned-thighs, skin removed and cut into 5cm pieces
- 3 tablespoons store-bought or homemade gluten-free plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 sprig of fresh sage leaves, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced 1cm thick
- 2 celery sticks, sliced 1cm thick
- 1 onion, chopped into 1cm pieces
- 200g brown or white mushrooms, sliced
- 250ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 sprig of fresh sage leaves, whole
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 200g frozen peas, thawed
For the gluten-free parsley dumplings:
- 120g store-bought or homemade gluten-free plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 150ml milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
Step by Step Instructions
1. Coat the chicken pieces evenly with the gluten-free flour, salt, pepper and fresh sage.
2. Heat the pan to medium and add the olive oil.
3. Fry the prepared carrots, celery and onions for 5 minutes, adding more oil if it appears dry.
4. Increase the heat to medium high.
5. Add the prepared chicken pieces and stir often until chicken is no longer pink.
6. Add the sliced mushrooms and allow to simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
13. Add the peas, stir well and transfer the chicken casserole to a deep oven-proof casserole dish.
16. In a measuring jug, mix the milk and egg together.
18. Remove the casserole dish from the oven and drop the dumplings over the chicken pieces. It is important that the chicken is slightly above the casserole sauce. If necessary, remove some sauce to lower the level below the chicken pieces *
21. Serve with roast, mashed potatoes or steamed rice.